Monday, December 01, 2008

An American Thanksgiving, little boys, and good friends

Thanksgiving may have been an inevitable holiday full of chores and a longer-than-usual To Do List for many people but it was very special for me this year. It was the first time I spent this holiday in the States with my family since 2005. Although I can't complain about camping in the Egyptian desert (2006) and a weekend trip to Marrakesh, Morocco with good friends (2007). The Highfill/Garrett clan converged in Hattiesburg, Mississippi this year and I cannot lie. That place IS a bit different than Africa. We spent a lovely weekend at my more mature sister's beautiful new home, cooking, shopping, playing cards, enjoying a good Arkansas victory over LSU, and running a lot (Caleb's favorite activity).

Speaking of Caleb, I thought we were almost going to have a lovers quarrel when he was assigning characters to each of us from the Wizard of Oz. When he got to me he said, "You're the witch. The green witch." You can imagine my shock. Glenda, the good and beautiful witch I can understand (and possibly HOPE for) but the green witch?! With the hunchback and big warty nose?! I was only offended until I earned my way up to Munchkin status then eventually to the coveted position of "Dorthly," which usually only his mother can hold.

An unexpected coincidence occurred when I realized that my dear friend Andrea (from my Egypt days) was also in town with her kids visiting family. We spent a wonderful morning catching up over coffee, reminiscing about the good ol' days of Cairene life, how much we miss it, how we enjoy not having a plan for the next step in life, and just being listening ears for each other. Praise the Lord for kindred spirits. I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving...and can now look forward to Christmas!

4 comments:

Martha said...

just think how great christmas is going to be with all 3 babies under one roof!

Sarah said...

I just can't think about it. The excitement overwhelms me and then I can get no work done at all whatsoever.

Tracy said...

That is so funny about you being the green witch. I wonder what he was thinking in his little head?????? I'm glad you worked your way up in status though. I think I'm going to go to Christmas at your house. It sounds like fun with all the babies. :-)

Martha said...

Tracy, seriously, come on over! You've got to meet all of them...you will just crack up at Caleb. He is in his own little world.