It's a little known fact that I happen to love Christmas music. I mean, really love it. Since I have a September birthday, I feel that once my birthday celebrations are complete it is appropriate to begin the Christmas music tradition. And I don't want to hear about how I can't do that because it's not technically Christmas time yet, blah blah blah. My argument is impenetrable in that the whole point of Christmas is actually an eternal (year-round) truth and we should be singing Christmas songs at Easter and Easter songs at Christmas and everywhere in between.Two of my all-time faves are O Come, O Come Emmanuel and O Holy Night. And this year I think I'm adding a third. It seems as if a shocking number of my girlfriends decided to lovingly labor and bring new babies into this beautiful world around the same time this year (must have been the weather) and I can't help but think of Mary, the mother of Jesus. Every year I'm more and more fascinated by her. I simply cannot imagine holding the actual humanity of God in my arms like I hold my little lovies. I also can't help but wonder if she ever felt alone. No other woman in the history of time (nor for the rest of time) would experience what she experienced. I just can't get my mind around that. But I love these lyrics...What Child is this who laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.
Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.
So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.
3 comments:
Sarah Ann A.K.A Kindred Spirit...
O Come O Come Emmanuel and What Child is This are my two favorite Christmas songs. In fact instead of a verse on my Christmas Card this year, I'm putting the first verse of O Come O Come Emmanuel. And BTW the Addington Family (and therefore this branch of the Watkins family) actually does listen to Christmas music year round.
Wish I was going to see you this Advent season!
I love that you think of Christmas music in September. :-)
I love you, your "quote worthy" section, your christmas songs, your christmas tree which looks quite fine in my living room, and the fact that you send me Celtic woman christmas songs.
And you can update anytime now...
Post a Comment