Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To commemorate my last day of work today, Martha and I celebrated at a local Mexican restaurant and fortunately Denver is not short on quality Latino food due to its high Latino population. We're going to continue the celebration (leave it to us to always find a reason to celebrate something) tomorrow night when we see this man.


No, your eyes aren't fooling you. That is the one and only, Mr. Garrison Keillor of A Prairie Home Companion. I know, I know, don't be jealous. He's coming to the Mile High City with his Rhubarb Tour so of course we couldn't pass up this opportunity to see him. Now, let me explain. Apparently, Martha and I are not typical 20-somethings. Some women love Brad Pitt. We love Garrison Keillor and Rick Steves. I'm sorry if I sound redundant but we seem to have more in common with men like these than we do with...well, a lot of people. This only seems to be a problem because they are in the 50s/60s age range instead of the 20s/30s, which you know, would obviously be a better option for us. Definitely preferable. Martha has noticed this trend recently due to the fact that she only sees middle-aged men wearing her favorite pair of shoes (Keens, don't worry) and people our parents age driving the type of car she has contemplated purchasing. And just recently we attended a Lucy Kaplansky concert, who we really thought was popular among our age demographic, but once we got there, we were surrounded by a few hundred gray heads. Was I born too late? Well, of course not. (But Martha definitely would have thrived in the 60s. My father lovingly refers to her as his "flower child.") And I could attribute this pattern to the fact that I have lived overseas for 2 years and I simply don't know much about my American generation these days. But seriously, I've used that excuse for way too long. So I guess we'll just keep a look out for small-town, world-traveling, literature-loving guys our own age and in the meantime we'll keep listening to the tales of Lake Wobegon while knitting and baking rhubarb pie.

P.S. Check out the documentary Commune. (For those that care, it probably should carry a restricted rating.) The title is self-explanatory and I can't really explain how much I want to live on a farm in the middle of the woods with the people I love. Maybe not forever, but wouldn't that
be a dream???

5 comments:

Virginia said...

Sarah & Martha,

I have been reading your blogs for ages. We have lots in common and not just our love of Caleb. I too love reading and traveling. Although I have to admit that, while I love reading books like "Walden Pond" and a "Walk in the Woods" and being outside, I don't like camping. I want to spend my nights in a nice clean hotel room when I'm traveling. Nonetheless I wanted you to know that you have inspired me to go to Egypt. Travis and going to take a cruise on the Nile during my Christmas break. I'm a huge Agatha Christie fan so I have long wanted to do this. Thanks, ladies, I probably wouldn't be doing this without your example.

Virginia (aka Caleb's Granny)

Virginia said...

I forgot to tell you that I also love Garrison Keillor.

Virginia

Tracy said...

This must mean you will be in Arkansas soon!

Hdragon70 said...

Hi - I'm Hanson, Kim and Brax Watkins cousin on the Watkins side. I was just surfing around on the blogs to see if other people were as behind on their blogs as me when I read your post.
I am a HUGE PHC fan. I don't know any of the popular music and haven't since about 1990 when I was 20. You might want to check out www.slnet.com. It's a simple living website and their are a lot of us younger-sters with these type of leanings. Enjoy!

Hdragon70 said...

PS - I did know that I misspelled "their". Sometimes I type faster than I think.