It's a sunny Sunday morning in Denver and Martha and I are already enjoying our second pot of coffee and reading the BBC. I hope you are all enjoying this new day wherever you are.
In efforts to keep you updated (whether you're interested or not) on our lives here, I thought I should post a few photos from the last couple of weeks. Our parents were able to visit for the Fourth and in true Highfill family style, we headed for the mountains of course.
In efforts to keep you updated (whether you're interested or not) on our lives here, I thought I should post a few photos from the last couple of weeks. Our parents were able to visit for the Fourth and in true Highfill family style, we headed for the mountains of course.



And I would like to point out a couple of things about my fabulous parents for those of you who don't know them. First of all, my father is Jeremiah Johnson. He can create fire in a matter of seconds. It's amazing really but much appreciated in the early morning hours when all I really want is to enjoy a good cup of coffee and the silence of the forest. It may seem to some to be a mystery as to how he ended up with a proper Southern belle like my mother...but what you might not realize is that she also feels quite at home in the great outdoors and can hold her own in the mountains where you'll find her gathering firewood and examining all kinds of forest life. So you see, they are a perfect match.
One of my favorite things about returning to Colorado has been reliving my childhood through my adult eyes. The last photo was taken from Independence Pass between Leadville and Aspen. We visited this Pass on one of our many Colorado vacations when I was a child (and my father can probably quote the day and hour we passed through because somehow he remembers every date in the history of time).
This weekend Martha and I completed a nice long hike near the Continental Divide west of Denver. I won't lie, there were moments when I thought I might collapse...or suffocate from lack of oxygen (Martha says I'm dramatic but I heard her breathing too!) and even though it took us all day, it was beautiful. We stopped and sat at 13,000 feet for a while, soaking up the sun and enjoying the cold mountain breeze.




One of my favorite things about returning to Colorado has been reliving my childhood through my adult eyes. The last photo was taken from Independence Pass between Leadville and Aspen. We visited this Pass on one of our many Colorado vacations when I was a child (and my father can probably quote the day and hour we passed through because somehow he remembers every date in the history of time).
This weekend Martha and I completed a nice long hike near the Continental Divide west of Denver. I won't lie, there were moments when I thought I might collapse...or suffocate from lack of oxygen (Martha says I'm dramatic but I heard her breathing too!) and even though it took us all day, it was beautiful. We stopped and sat at 13,000 feet for a while, soaking up the sun and enjoying the cold mountain breeze.







2 comments:
Oh, my goodness, the look on our father's face in the fourth picture is typical of our silly, goofy father. I cannot wait until we are there next month! I desperately need to breath some mountain air!
Oh, all I'm saying is, you get me into these situations where you want me go to way up high (into the mountain thin air) or way down low (into the deep Red Sea reef) and both of these require a bit of a lack of oxygen...and YOU know my number 1 fear...ZERO OXYGEN....i'm just saying...but at least we aren't boring...
Post a Comment