Today...
I wandered through the market and had flashbacks of the first neighborhood where I lived in Cairo, it was so similar. Is it strange that I no longer think it's strange that I have these thoughts?
I got a few laughs from some women who overheard a man quoting me a ridiculously high price for a scarf. I wouldn't give him the time of day, letting him know I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere. Apparently it's not every day they see a foreigner bargaining in Arabic in the souk....or a foreigner at all for that matter!
I successfully wriggled my way through the clutter and confusion of the local postal system, never taking "no" for an answer...and came out with a package from home! Totally made my day. (Not to mention the process of actually finding the post office...habibti this and habibti that, everyone is so helpful).
I also successfully explained to numerous people at the center that due to the very large number of students we currently have, we will not be having another registration this summer. Talk about an Arabic workout. I'm still amazed that they actually understand me. And vice versa.
I stopped to peruse the herbs being sold in the street on my way home and it reminded me of my childhood home. So earthy and fresh.
And I'm in the process of grading a stack of mid-terms. All of my college roommates who turned out to be teachers would be so proud. Never thought I would be one though! I need a cup of coffee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i wish i was you...or better yet, i wish i could live with you...yes...love
Post a Comment