You all know I am an avid reader. I’m one of those people that always has about 10 books on my bedside table…a true bookworm…thank you Mother. I read anything I can get my hands on. And these days, I’m even trying to read in Arabic (although my success in this endeavor is growing quite slowly). I think that books are insights into the world through the minds of its inhabitants. Some are wise and others are ridiculous and a waste of time. Some set forth ideas about God that are completely inaccurate while others write in such a way to carefully reflect His beauty and His glory, as in creation around us. I am a huge advocate for intelligent minds; I believe this is why God gave us minds in the first place, to use them in the way He intended. So I decided to compile my personal recommended reading list derived from some of my recent reads (and re-reads). And I would love to hear your recommendations! There is much to be learned about the world around us...
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Freidman
A Border Passage: From Cairo to America- A Woman’s Journey by Leila Ahmed
Is the Father of Jesus the God of Muhammad? by Timothy George
(thank you Josh and Jenn Knierim)
A Woman of Egypt by Jehan Sadat
Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood by John Piper
A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Elliot
Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
Any suggestions???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You cant go wrong with CS Lewis, especially Mere Christianity! I have read that twice since being over here...i wish i had it with me now or i would read it again!
One of the 10 books on my bedside table currently is "Understanding the Arab-Israeli Conflict: What the Headlines Haven't Told You." by Michael Rydelnik. It is a slow process for me reading this book, and I don't like how it is organized, but it does show you the big picture of everything and is not written from a political standpoint, but an eternal one. I did clean off my bedside table recently because I was tired of the stack and so now I am down to 3 books, the Word and some journals. Haha. Love you girl. ~tracy
Post a Comment