Friday, August 25, 2006



Although I live in a "westernized" flat in a fairly progressive city where I can find just about anything I really need, I must still make adjustments in everyday living. For example, I don't have a car, of course, so I use a lot of public transportation, including the metro, taxis, and microbuses. Traveling to a friend's house can take an hour and a half and that's if the metro's not crowded and I have good luck with finding a taxi. Also, air conditioning is a privilege here and although I have it in my flat, most of my friends' homes do not. Most of you know that I don't handle hot weather very well so this is something I have been working on. Sweating constantly seems to have become a normal way of life. I have a washing machine but no dryer so I hang my laundry to dry, resulting in clothing that loses shape and wears out quickly. I also don't have a microwave or toaster oven, which is something we all know we just can't live without in the States! But I have learned to make adjustments (see above photos). We just have to be creative! That's part of the fun in living here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE AIR CONDITIONING????
Ohmygoodness. Amman has been so hot lately. We're praying for a cool breeze here....

Adjusting to public transportation has been hard for me too! I have to leave about an hour before I actually have to be somewhere! Not because it takes an hour to get there but because I never know how long it will take to get a taxi. Certainly makes life interesting!

Anonymous said...

P.S. that comment above was made by me, Bonnie....

Anonymous said...

I love that you're roasting crossaints over the oven. And I thought you would be able to get a new toaster oven with the new flat?? I love your stories! :-) Can I come over? ;-)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah. that was tracy. i forgot like bonnie did.

Andrew C said...

Look at those scantily clad arms.