Sunday, May 17, 2009

Nieces

Nieces are one of the best things God invented. So fun, so sweet. (And mine happens to be the most beautiful almost-three-year-old in the world as well. Really she is.) I am particularly happy that God gave me a niece of my own because, let's be honest here, girls are just more fun to sew for than boys. I love love LOVE my nephews but how extensive can a little boy's wardrobe be??? Especially when it's covered in dirt and bugs and stickiness pretty much most of the time. So in anticipation of the great big 3rd birthday, I struck out on an adventure and created and completed my first project that someone will wear without using a pattern. This is a big step for me. I've made many things without a pattern that might be used in other ways but if I'm making a garment at will be worn, well, that's a different story. I usually come up with ideas in my head and then find a pattern that is sort of similar. I figured this would be a good chance to experiment seeing that #1 it is a dress-up outfit and she won't wear it outside the house (hopefully) and #2 she's two years old so there are no curves to fit. Annnnd what little girl doesn't love matching dress-up clothes?! Or was that just me?

A matching apron for her baby doll, Gertrude. (This may require a bit of improvisation because Gertrude may be a little more rotund than I remember.)


And perhaps my favorite feature of the entire outfit is the vintage lace I used. I'm pretty sure I probably wore some of this when I was her age. (And apparently "vintage" includes anything over 20 years old. Did you know that?! When did I get old enough to be VINTAGE??? I guess many many years ago...sigh.)

1 comment:

Julie Garrett said...

The aprons are so cute, Sarah! And I recognize that "vintage" lace! I had a pink gingham dress adorned with that very lace!