One of the joys of working from home is that I can sit on my porch swing with my computer on beautiful days like today and do my job. Some people may be distracted but I think it helps me focus more. Usually anything in nature helps me do that. Plus it helps me remember that work is also a form of worship of the Creator, because he enables us to do that, and if I can work IN nature...oh geez, it's the best. But I digress.
So today I was working on my porch and had another flashback. To another time, another place, another life of mine. It reminded me so much of the spring days in Jordan when I would open all the windows and doors in my flat (to warm it up) and sit outside on my rooftop patio and enjoy the weather. Read a book. Hang out my laundry. Listen for the call to prayer. Watch the fields just beyond the edge of town turn green. Eavesdrop on the happenings and conversations of my quiet street below. Wonder if the woman hanging out her laundry on the next rooftop over was as fascinated with my life as I was with her's. (Probably not.)
Life was so different. But on days like today, I just close my eyes and I can picture myself there. It would be really nice to visit again. Someday. Until then, I will just enjoy this fantastic Arkansas weather that we're having...and save my pennies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i always wondered if the little hanut man who worked across the street from our home in maroc was ever as fascinated by us as i was with him...probably not...funny what daily things make you (i can't really thing of a correct english word to use here to adequately describe what i'm thinking in my head...so i'll use...) crave, long, feel like you would do almost anything to get back to these treasured places...for me, maroc...with you by my side of course..because who else is going to laugh as much as me when i think about running to catch the train in taza that one time, as you took off sprinting when that little moroccan man told us "the train is coming! the train is coming!" OFF YOU GO!!!!!! as i stand there laughing so hard i couldn't move and you are yelling at me to "come on already!"...oh geezzzz.i love you
For the record and if my recollection serves me correctly, I did NOT want to have to take another 7-person taxi for another 4 hours to Meknes and that was the last train of the day. And there was absolutely no way we were staying in Taza overnight. It makes me nervous just thinking about it! We were getting on that train even if I had to stand in front of the train myself. It's funny what fiascoes one doesn't mind to create when desperate enough in a foreign country. :)
Post a Comment