Thursday, August 07, 2008

I feel like a kid at Christmas. I'm counting down the hours until I see Caleb (my 3-year-old nephew...in case anyone has forgotten...how could you do that?!). Every time I've talked to him lately, he talks about going to the airporch and gets really confused when I ask him if he's going to meet the pilot on the airplane. He insists that pirates are on ships, not airplanes. And of course he knows he's going to get M's if he sees his aunties so he doesn't hesitate to remind us of that. (M&M's, or just M's to Caleb, are an extra special treat for him...so maybe I give him a few more than I should...I'm his auntie, not his mommy!) He's just too cute for words. Oh yeah, and his parents are coming with him. I'm super excited to see them too.

My dear friend Bonnie and I swap book opinions regularly and since I know many of you are avid readers, I thought I should extend the invitation to everyone. And because I'm obviously going to be preoccupied for the next few days, I'll just leave a list of a few books I have come across recently and wait in anticipation for your recommendations!

--Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I'm probably the last person in America to read this. I found it surprisingly captivating. How can a book about a boy and a tiger on a boat be that interesting?)
--Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII by David Starkey (I'm sort of obsessed with the British monarchy, old and new. It's fascinating. Plus I'm a history nerd.)
--Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (By far the best I've read this summer...I'm craving the Himalayas.)
--Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (I actually didn't like the way this one portrayed a lot of issues about Muslim culture (it's a novel) but for an easy read, it's not the worst.)
--Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea (Originally written and published in Arabic, it's not the most thought-provoking book out there but it's about Saudi women so I liked it.)

2 comments:

kaw said...

1. Thomas calls them M's too

2. I'm obsessed with English royalty as well. In fact, I currently have in my posession a video (not even dvd)by the History Channel from the library about the lost princes of England. Edward and Richard. I feel it would have been less confusing if every freaking person in that family had not been named either Edward or Richard.

Tracy said...

Oh! I read 3 cups of Tea!!!! So good, I could hardly put it down!!!! I read A Thousand Splendid Suns this summer. Also excellent. You probably read that like a year ago. Have fun getting Caleb from the airporch after he sees the pirates. HAHA! I love that age.