Wednesday, May 21, 2008
I'm not a phone person but I love unexpected phone calls. One of my dearest friends from Egypt called me this morning and it was so good to hear her voice and her scattered Arabic words thrown in here and there (her English is so much better than my Arabic). While we were talking, I was reminded of how easy life in America is for women. We never even have to think about the issues that she is currently dealing with. It's unbelievable at times. And when I begin to think that it is difficult, I remind myself of what my friends overseas live with every day. And for some CRAZY reason, I really miss that place. Naturally, any place that is home for any amount of time will always be special to me and even though my time in Egypt might have been the most stressful and dysfunctional period of my life, I still miss it. Mostly the people, my friends. Definitely not the crowds or the heat. And probably because it was my first home abroad. And I'm slowly admitting to myself, even though I've secretly realized it for quite some time, that I just don't fit in America. Perhaps I will live in America for quite some time (for now at least, of course) and if so, I will happily accept that plan but in the meantime, it sure is a killer to re-adjust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment