I rarely do this and I even hesitate to do so because I prefer to keep my blog light-hearted and more of a way to just keep everyone I don't talk to every day updated about what's going on in my life but I just had to say something.
I read this article on the BBC this morning.
I remember when my parents started boycotting all products "Made in China" when I was a young girl. I remember thinking it was ridiculous, next to impossible to accomplish, and for goodness' sake, what was the big deal anyway?! But as with all childish thinking, you gradually begin to understand that your parents are actually right. Now that I'm grown and make my own economic decisions, I am also accountable for how I spend my money. Now, don't roll your eyes and start into how it is ridiculous to think that buying from China is somehow intrinsically wrong. That's not what I'm saying. Yes, there is Mr. Average Chinese Man who needs to provide for his family as well and it's actually a quite complicated issue. But my parents had, and still have, strong convictions on how they spend the money God has given them.
I wish the American public, and people all around the world for that matter who have the luxury to be choosy about what they buy and where they buy it from, would stop and THINK about how they spend their money. Especially those who claim to follow the person Jesus Christ. He owned practically nothing and He made it very clear how temporary it all is. Do we really NEED all that we buy? Of course not. I know (from watching my friends overseas) that we can, in fact, survive on very few material things in this life. Ok, yes, we're supposed to help keep the economy going or something like that, but I for one don't think that all this extra STUFF lying around (most of it hailing a "Made in China" tag) is the answer to that problem.
So no, I'm not a purist, but would it hurt to just be aware and make better decisions based off of that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
this girl was MADE IN AMERICA.
Post a Comment