Monday, October 01, 2007

Eight of my friends met up for a weekend of fun in a small laid-back mountain town about 5 hours west of here. And fun was definitely had by all…


Chefchaouen has a bohemian flare, perfect for European backpackers, while never losing its Moroccan-ness. I was so refreshed by being further up in the mountains…cool, crisp air and chilly temperatures. While I can’t complain about living on the
Mediterranean Sea (because it IS simply marvelous), I do still find the mountains to be quite irresistible.



The mouth of this mountain spring provides a great place for the local women to bring their daily wash and catch up on their neighbors’ latest gossip. I’ve adjusted to life without a dryer but imagine life without a washing machine. I admire the women I know who live in the middle of nowhere and never complain about the lack of this wonderful convenience.



Children are such wonderful subjects for photos…usually. These kids were too precious to pass by. Check out the girlfriend’s hair on the left…too cute!



We hiked up a “mountain” to an old crumbling mosque with fantastic views of the town and the valley below. Gorgeous! (We’re told that the empty fields were recently harvested for that magical plant that is illegal in the US and many parts of Europe but that this part of Morocco is quite known for.)


No comments: