Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Today I miss my tiny, vintage, hardwood floored apartment in Birmingham with my Filipino tableware and my favorite painting of my great-grandmother’s that hung over my fireplace. I miss sitting out on my front porch with my neighbors, chatting about the hydrangeas that were in bloom or the latest Homewood Park activity taking place down the street. I miss going on runs through the hilly, curvy streets of my neighborhood. I miss running outside anywhere! I miss O’Henry’s, my favorite coffee shop, where I would sit several mornings a week, sometimes with friends, sometimes with my sister, sometimes alone, just reading and thinking and solving the world’s problems. I miss my bike. I miss perusing the organic produce at the little shop in downtown Homewood where Martha worked the summer she lived with me. I miss walking to the library to find old Bob Dylan and Carole King cd’s. I miss Nabeel’s Mediterranean restaurant, just down the street, past the park. And most of all, I miss my friends…a lot. So here’s to you, all of you Birmingham-ians…many of you don't live there anymore either but you know who you are…much much love…peace be with you, wherever you are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You made me tear up...I miss you! And I miss Birmingham, too! Love!
Post a Comment