Sunday, June 18, 2006

As most of you know, the worldwide avian influenza made its way to my country several months ago and many human deaths have been attributed to its effects. Because of this, my government wisely ordered the disposal of all animals that may carry the bird flu, specifically chickens. For a while we were unable to find even frozen chicken in some grocery stores and it wasn’t available at all in many restaurants. “Mafeesh frakh,” they would say. No chicken. However, in the past couple of months we have seen a slow return of chicken across the city. My most recent (and the loudest) reminder that the birds are back is the obnoxious honking that I hear every day from the roof upstairs. That’s right, I believe I have geese (or some other honking bird, not chickens) living right above me on the roof. I’m sure someone in my building is saving them for a special occasion. I have yet to see these birds but they constantly remind me that if I ever need some good ol’ fried chicken (which I don’t think I have ever craved in my life, but just in case!), I will no doubt be able to find it somewhere because birds have, indeed, returned.

No comments: