Thursday, March 23, 2006

The U2 song “Beautiful Day” was running through my mind all day today. It was just a beautiful day! Even though it’s technically “the dusty season” it hasn’t been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The spring flowers are so colorful and in full bloom. I can even hear birds singing their tunes each morning when I open the windows of my flat…although I haven’t figured out exactly where those birds live since I live in a neighborhood of concrete. There are several green areas around other parts of my city, specifically in my “suburb”, but not really in my neighborhood. Several of my friends have trees and flowers and even grass (gasp!) to view from their flats but I get mostly concrete, brick, concrete, dirt, concrete, satellite dishes, concrete, the sheep that live on the roof across the street, and more concrete. But I really do like where I live. One definitely gets the feel of real life in this city when you walk down the streets of my neighborhood. A true cultural experience. It just wouldn’t be home without the smell of burning garbage and taxi cab exhaust fumes…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was good to get your update. you've been on my mind alot. thinking about you friend!

kate said...

oh, i'm so glad to be reading about your new life. i wish i was there seeing the sights, walking along the busy streets, tasting all the beautiful and unique culture. i look forward to reading all about it quite regularly!

Anonymous said...

sheep living on the next roof over from your building...ah life in a beautiful foreign country...must be nice :)